workin it out in america. read on for tall tales from adventures in the east and west.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

the monster mash

And so, after the week was over and we had some time to rest, it was out to the party downtown for all us adults. We headed to a foreigner bar that we don’t frequent too much, and I was definitely reminded Saturday night just why we don’t. I pulled together a slightly more adult version of my skeleton/dead lady costume sans the white makeup. The party was fabulous – it was awesome to see lots of good friends we’ve made since we arrived here and to find other people wearing crazy costumes aside from me. There was a Scotsman dressed as Braveheart. An Aussie who made a fabulous devil. An American who made an Optimus Prime costume entirely out of cardboard boxes and poster paint. And a Korean girl who pulled off an impressive Borat-in-his-one-sie.

Altogether we had a great time. I met some great new friends, but I definitely was put off, once again, by the multitude of yahoos that I meet here, particularly the boys. They seem to be the type who have very little ability to function normally in a social environment but are quite skilled at acting as creepy and sleazy as possible whenever a woman is around. This particular bar is really awesome for its unisex bathroom. There’s a stall for the women with a fully closed door, which is nice. But the men have this urinal that’s just open to the tiny room you have to stand in to wait for the stall. And the sink is right on the wall behind the urinal. So no matter what you do, you can’t really avoid it. So on the night of this crazy party, it was especially an awesome experience since the guys were extra creepy in their bizarre costumes and were pretty much extra drunk. During my first trip, I was forced to stand there in my hot pink wig and slightly revealing top while not one or two but three of the sleaziest dudes in the place piled in to the bathroom. They asked me such awesome questions as “Hey, who would you rather do? Me or him?” Right. You’re kidding, right? How old are you? Wow. Made it in and out of that place in a flash and left laughing at these very silly, stupid boys.

It was a much needed very late night that ended with the only kind of junk food we can get in Korea – McDonald’s – and resulted in a little bit of a downturn in my already sick state. I’m nursing a cold with some meds from the doctor this week. Getting lots of rest, and definitely feeling good that Halloween is finally over.

No comments: