workin it out in america. read on for tall tales from adventures in the east and west.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

you caught me smiling...again

so, this past weekend was our graduation blowout extravaganza. 120 Korean kids. 10 English plays. 10 Korean dances. speeches, bubbly floaty backdrops, smoke machines, some tears, a giant rocket ship, a larger-than-life cheeseburger and a LOT of smiling. these kids were amazing. for those of you who haven't gotten the run-down before, here's the deal: every year in February (the end of the school year in Korea) students across the country gather to perform ridiculous songs and dances in totally outrageous costumes for their parents and teachers. ours were no different. munchkins running amok in all manner of hilarious vinyl, sequined costumes. little vegetables, slices of bread, chickens, Korean devils, warriors, Power Rangers, mermaids, etc. etc., etc. You really have to see this to believe it. It's hard to describe the insanity of the moment. More like 8 hours. We were there from 9 until 5. Lots of waiting around and trying to entertain. Many costume changes. Exhausted by the end.

But my kids rocked it. I cannot begin to describe the feeling of elation at watching my 11 students completely steal the show. They worked so hard for so long (and so did I), and they nailed every line and every dance. Our play was "The Adventure of the Cheeseburger in Paradise" where three explorers go in search of the mythical meat-lovers dream and find bumble bees, cats and cowboys along the way to help them. They sang and danced to such hot hits as "Cheeseburger in Paradise," Good Vibrations," "Mr. Mistoffelees," "Ghost Riders in the Sky," and the grand finale: "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters. Seriously, you've never lived until you've watched 11 6 yr. old adorable Korean kids shake it to the Pointer Sisters. Here is the motley crew in costume:

We had a number of camera snafus, so we didn't really get a complete set of shots from the day, but I did manage to get a full video of my kids' AWESOME Korean dance, smoke machine and all. It doesn't do it justice to talk about it, so check out the video.

This was an amazing experience. I'm glad it's over, but I feel so lucky to have gotten to bond with my kids like this before they go on to their new schools. Tomorrow is our last day as a class. We're having a party and I've made these gorgeous little photos books for them. It's really sad to have to say goodbye, but I'm glad they get to leave first. I may see some of them as afternoon students, but it's definitely not the same as the 5 hours a day we've gotten to spend together in the mornings.

Two more months left. It's certainly bittersweet. Two teachers will be leaving this weekend--dear friends of our who I will miss quite a bit. Four new teachers arrived last week. Things change all the time. Can't say I'm not looking forward to getting on a plane myself. But two more months. Incredible how time flies.

No comments: