workin it out in america. read on for tall tales from adventures in the east and west.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

31? is that a real age?

indeed, ladies and gentlemen, i have made it to 31. and 31 in Korea at that.

thank you to everyone who has sent so many wonderful goodies. they have all been a wonderful surprise. thank you thank you thank you!!!! (and a shout out to mr. michael bortnick in new zealand who, my mom tells me, reads this blog and laughs over breakfast. that makes me happy!)

i sit here on the last morning of waking up early for school for 10 whole days. we leave for our trip to seorak-san (national park with the tallest peaks in korea) and the beach tomorrow morning.

some of you have asked about the fun korea-type things i will be doing for my birthday. well, though i so wish my apartment would sing happy birthday to me, i was awoken this morning by the lovely tune of "xanadu" on my phone (i hear the musical is pretty rockin'). today i will definitely have as many parties as possible in all my classes and beyond. i've prepped my kids for "what day is it today?" "Today is Friday, July 27th, Catie Teacher's birthday" so perhaps, selfishly, i'll get some loot from the wee ones. the afternoon classes will definitely consist of games and perhaps some cake. though my kids were trying to persuade me to get chicken.

you see, chicken--fried chicken, that is, particularly Chicken Man, is a staple of any birthday here in Gwangju. Chicken Man rides on a red scooter emboldened with the Chicken Man logo--something that looks like a stoned cartoon chicken (no pictures yet, but i've been meaning to post one. but if you want to see a silly video with really bad quality of Chicken Man dancing with some guy go here:


Chicken Man rides away from the store on his scooter and, I imagine, pushes a button on said scooter which makes a little sound like he's a superhero--you know, "dun da da dun! Chicken Man!" seriously. it cracks me up every time.

Then, Chicken Man shows up at your home, office or school (ours in particular) bearing gifts of fried chicken parts and wearing a giant (and terribly hot and sweaty, i'm sure) costume that makes the guy look like the stoned chicken himself. he runs around the school jumping up and landing with his feet apart and arm in the air. Superhero, after all, right? Then, as quick as he arrived, he's off. Perhaps to thrill and frighten more small children and adults. (Apparently, one of the teachers has a kid who i think is 3 or 4 whose mother threatens to call Chicken Man when he's bad. he must really scare the shit out of some kids!) I bet you wish Chicken Man could come to your house right now...

anyhoo, off to shower and get myself prepped for this lovely birthday. sending love all to all you good folks.

31 and feelin good

catie

1 comment:

annieb said...

happy happy happy birthday catie! safe travels.
love, anne